Splendour Under the Grass
One of Durack’s sustainability initiatives is to cut down on water use whilst still keeping grassed areas green and lush.
In 2011, Durack undertook a project to plant a Water Smart Lawn at the main student quadrangle near the Me-N-U Café.
- The existing lawn, poor quality soil, tree roots, pop up sprayers and reticulation were removed from the area
- Top quality soil with soil conditioner was then added
- A sub surface irrigation system was installed to reduce moisture loss through evaporation and blow off.
- A soil moisture probe was connected to the existing reticulation system to only water the lawn when required
- Velvetine lawn was laid as it requires less water and is drought and salt tolerant
FT - Full time
PT - Part time
FLX - Flexible
RPL - Recognition of prior learning
ONL - Online
OPL - Open learning
PRE - Preapprenticeship
APP - Apprenticeship
TRN - Traineeship
WPA - Workplace assessment